We make veggie burgers to eat when we are out and about on adventures. We want to feed our family healthy, filling and tasty foods, whilst on the go.
Our veggie burger recipe is always a hit with the little ones. Plus we are generally an awkward family to feed with a variation of soya, gluten and dairy intolerances. This recipe keeps us all happy and full.
What you need
- Plain flour (we use gluten free)
- Stock cube
- Kidney beans
- Oats (we use gluten free)
- Veg (in the video we use peas and sweetcorn), you could use onion, grated carrot, courgette, grated parsnip, grated beetroot. Get creative. Once you’ve learnt the recipe you really can add whatever you fancy.
- Herbs and spices (we used smoked paprika)
- Chia seeds (groundnuts, nut butter, or other seeds) These are optional as you just add more flour.
I’ve deliberately left this vague. So many recipes have exact quantities. I think this makes cooking more difficult.
How to measure out the ingredients
These are so easy that the quantities don’t really matter. As long as you produce end a thick mixture that you can stir before cooking. You will have made something delicious.
As you’ll see in the video the children just put the ingredients in. There is no order or quantity, but it works!
Full recipe details in the video
what to do with your delicious ingredients
- Put stock cube in the bowl and add hot water
- Add the rest of the ingredients
- Mix it up
- Add some oil
- Get the consistency right add flour, chia seeds or nuts/nut butter if it’s too liquidy.
- Heat oil in a pan
- Add burger sized amounts of your mixture to the pan.
- Cook until golden brown.
- Flip over and cook the other side.
- Leave to cool.
When you are happy with your original recipe. Add in different veg, seeds, herbs and spices. You know have loads of different recipes to keep everyone happy.